Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Al Ali Pottery

We went to Hamad Town to see the pottery shops. We saw tons and tons of pottery. It looks very different from what they make in Japan. Some I really liked some was just weird. Much of it they use as decorations in and on their homes. The smaller cut out ones they use to burn incense in. I managed to get out of there with only one piece but it was kind of big. You'll find a picture of it at the bottom of this post.

Kerrie and Brett in front of Al Ali Bottery.
We see many translation mistakes similar to the ones we saw in Japan.

Inside of Al Ali Bottery Shop

Outside the pottery shops and kilns there were huge piles of broken pottery. Apparently they make a lot of pottery that never sales.





Hanging Pottery Lamps



Basket full of colorful pottery goblets

Decorative Pottery


These little vases have a coin slot in them to be used as banks.


The wall where the potters work


Pottery Chandelier


Below is the pot I bought to adorn my front porch area.

5 comments:

  1. I like the one you bought. It's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hanging pottery lamps... beautiful and unique. Such fun adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is great! I really like the hanging bottery lamps too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the pottery expensive? Depending on size I suppose, large or small. I want to go there and purchase a vase or pitcher. Methods of payment?

    The photos are wonderful! I'm glad I found them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ross and Megan - thanks for your blog! Any idea what the opening hours are? I'm coming from Saudi and its a long drive to find it might not be open on a Friday...

    ReplyDelete